One of my favorite treats to make and give (usually with a tray of cookies) is coconut macaroons. The recipe is super simple and is always a hit with people. They are gluten free as well.
- One 14-ounce package of sweetened shredded coconut
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine sugar, egg whites, vanilla, and salt.
- Using an electric beater, whisk ingredients until stiff peaks are formed.
- Fold coconut into beaten mixture.
- Using a small ice cream scoop, place macaroons on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake macaroons for 15-20 minutes until lightly browned.
- Optional: Drizzle with melted chocolate once cooled.