I’ve spent a lot of my life feeling nauseated. I hate it so much. But my digestive and nervous systems are extremely reactive. I’ve dealt with episodic and chronic nausea as a result of abdominal migraines, an anxiety disorder, irritable bowel syndrome, cyclic vomiting syndrome, gatroparesis, functional dyspepsia, and chronic migraines. Over time, through trial and error, I’ve found some remedies that have helped me.
- Ondansetron (Zofran) – This is probably the most effective medication I have found. Intravenous route is usually the best but multiple doses orally are helpful too.
- Promethazine (Phenergan) – Unfortunately, over time this medication has lost some of its effectiveness for me. It’s sedative effect is helpful in the sense that it puts me to sleep and I’m not suffering. I often wake up feeling better.
- Prochlorperazine (Compazine) – I’m allergic to this medication. It caused a pretty severe dystonic reaction. I literally felt like ripping my IV out and running out of the ER.
Ginger: These products are definitely my go-tos!
- Q Ginger Ale – Made with real ginger and lower in sugar than traditional ginger ale
- Traditional Medicinals Ginger Tea – Not too spicy, soothing
- Ginger People products – I particularly like Gin-Gins, a hard ginger candy
Essential Oils: I often apply essential oils to my wrists, on the soles of my feet, and on my abdomen and stomach regions when I’m feeling nauseated or experiencing digestive spasms.
- Peppermint -relaxes muscle spasms
- Lavender – helps anxiety
Cold compresses: Heat generally makes me feel a lot worse. A cold compress on my forehead or the back of me neck helps cool me down.
Fresh air: Opening a window, going outside, or having the AC or a fan on keeps me from feeling stuffy.
Distraction: If I focus on the nausea it usually gets worse, so I tend to try to distract myself by watching TV, listening to music, or drawing. It doesn’t always work but it can help lessen the severity of the sensation.
Vomiting: Sometimes your body just needs to get rid of whatever is irritating it. I try not to suppress the vomiting reflex because it is my body’s natural defense mechanism.
Do you have any unique nausea remedies? Please share them in the comments! I’m willing to try a lot.
Stay strong my warrior friends,